Click on the pictures to see the details.
In the past I’ve created a variety of Marie Antoinette inspired art but never a diorama. The inspiration for this piece was Alpha Stamp’s Painterly Props collage sheet. The overall dimensions are 11” high by 12” wide by 3” deep. The floor and the top are made from foamcore board. The back is made from chipboard. The columns and pink drapes on the front are backed with thin chipboard and supported and attached to the top with wooden dowels.
To create the design on the floor, I used a square punch to punch two different patterned papers. I glued them to the foamcore in a diagonal pattern and I used gold metallic stickers to create the grout lines.
The urn containing the flowers looks dimensional but it’s not. I used the same image twice (one the reverse of the other) and backed them both with heavy cardstock. Next, I added foam core tape to the inside middle and glued the sides together. This method created a pocket in the middle which gave me room to insert the flower arrangement.Hidden in the top of the diorama are foam core beams that I used for hanging the lace curtains on the left side and the turquoise fiber on the right side. The flowered curtains in the far back on the left are made by accordion folding paper. I used gold chain to hang tassels that I died turquoise with alcohol ink.
The chandelier is made from German Scrap (center support), brass jewelry drops (pieces holding the candles and beads), clear plastic beads hanging from the drops and clear long beads for candles which I painted white (these are attached with wire). I used a dollop of yellow metallic paint for the candle flames.
To the foam core at the top, I attached paper borders and a piece of carved wooden trim (used for dollhouses). The swirls at the top are chipboard. On the top, is a piece of chipboard covered in decorative paper that I can lift to access the beams inside the top (in case I need to fix or add something).
I used box feet on the corners to hold the sprays of hanging flowers.
Alphas Stamps Supplies Used In This Project