-->

Welcome

I love answering your questions. If you ask them in the comment section, I have no way to answer you (if you haven't heard from me, that is why). If you use the "EMAIL ME" in the left column of this page, I will be able to respond to you. You can also use it if you want to be added to my newsletter. Laura

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tutorial - How to Make an Accordion Fold Domino Book

Here comes a tutorial just in time to have fun for the weekend.  First, I must give credit to Holly Moore whose blog is Paper Pieces of Me.  Holly hosted a domino book swap in the Marie Antoinette Mail Art group and that’s where I learned to make these books.
What you will need:
  • Two dominos.  In the example my dominos measured 1” x 2”.
  • Thin ribbon or lace
  • Cardstock or heavy decorative paper.
  • Embellishments (for the dominos)
  • Paper images
Front of the finished book
Back of the finished book
Side of the finished book
Inside of the finished book
Step 1
Decorate the fronts and sides of your dominos (not the back).   You can use alcohol inks, Staz-On ink, paper, ribbon, trim, rub-ons and anything else that will stick to a domino.  In the example I painted my dominos with silver alcohol ink.  If you are painting your dominos, be sure to paint the edges and a little bit of the back side.  I then stamped my dominos, applied rub-ons and paper.  Lastly, I glued on my dimensional embellishments and trim around the edges.
Blank Dominos
Decorated Dominos
Step 2
Glue a strip of ribbon to center of the backside of each domino.  The ribbons are used to tie the book closed.  I used extra ribbon then trimmed the length after tying the book closed.
Step 3
Cut a strip of cardstock or heavy decorative paper 1 7/8” x 9”.  This measurement is based on dominos that are 1” x 2”.  If your domino measurements are different you will need to cut your paper a different size.  The point is to cut the height 1/8” shorter than the height of the domino and long enough to fold the strip into 10 sections so that each folded section is 1/8” shorter than the width of the domino.  The purpose of deducting a 1/8th of an inch is to keep the folded book from hanging over the edge of the dominos.
Strip of cut cardstock
Step 4
Score the paper every 7/8” (this assumes the domino is 1” wide).  This is to help you fold the paper like an accordion.  You should be able to score the paper 10 times.  Fold the scored paper.  You should have 10 panels with a little bit extra on one end.  Cut off the extra bit.  Decorate the front and back.  Don’t use bulky embellishments or the book will be hard to close. 
Strip of cardstock scored and folded (be sure to cutoff the extra at the end).

Front or inside decorated
Back or outside decorated.
Step 5
Glue each end of the accordion folded paper to the inside of each domino (on top of the ribbon.

Close and tie your book and you are finished!

30 comments:

ann said...

This little book is exquisite, everything about it I adore, papers,embellishments colours. On something so small so much detail.
xx

Elaine A said...

Laura -

Thank you so very much for this wonderful tutorial! I love your book. It is simply beatutiful.

Elaine Allen

Terri said...

Bea-U-Ti-Ful !.....thanks for the tutorial too!

Createology said...

Laura thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. Your domino book is absolutely gorgeous. I really must make one for myself as I love these.
Fabulous Friday to you...

Ephemera said...

Thanks so much for this tutorial and for sharing it with us. The domino book is quite simply exquisite. X

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Thank you for that wonderful tutorial, Laura!
Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
Julia

Daniele said...

thank you for another great tutorial....yours are so lovely and detailed
hugs

Joanne said...

This has taught me a big, big lesson - do not throw out your set of dominos!!!!!!!
Hugs Joanne xx

ShabbyChicShaz said...

Thanks so much Laura, can't wait to try it :) Just adore your book!

Unknown said...

Great minds think alike, I just made one of these yesterday!

Wonderful tutorial as always.

RPLancaster said...

Hi Laura,

This little domino book looks like it would be fun to make. I'm going to give it a try.
Question about the dominoes, can any kind work? I have old black wooden ones and newer hard resin type.

paulette

Sue Young said...

Seriously gorgeous!!!Will keep it in mind for a winters night project!thanks lots for sharing!

Leanne said...

not that I own any dominos, but thanks for sharing this tutorial!

Ms. Lahtidah said...

What an exquisite little treasure! Beautiful work. Thank you for sharing this.

Debi said...

So completely gorgeous Laura- and thanks for the Tutorial- Debi x

JenW!~ said...

Simply wonderful. I've been wanting to make one of these but right now I have no dominoes. Thanks for a great tutorial.

SusanLotus said...

This domino book is absolutely wonderful!

Kris Dickinson said...

Great tutorial Laura. It's a stunning little book! -Kris

Lillian said...

this is fabulous !!!!thanks for the Tutorial Laura
Lillian
http://www.canadianscraptramp.blogspot.com/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mixedmediaart/

lilyandthelotus.blogspot.com said...

wonderful muse you are. I so love this delightful little book. Hoe inspiring.thank you for sharing.

Sharron aka Sharrahug said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for the tut!

Wanda Maria said...

Absolutely beautiful! :)

chrissie said...

Just amazing and it helped so much to make one for a challenge

Love Chrissie xxxx

Cricket's Daughter said...

SIMPLY LOVELY!!!! I am having a difficult time finding plain dominos....I can find the old fashioned ones, but none that are plain. any suggestions?

Thanks so much for this, as it is truly a work of art....

Valentina said...

Beautiful! I have a ton of dominoes, going to make some for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Hettie said...

Gorgeous and wonderful inspiration piece.
x

HeARTworks said...

Now if only I didn't misplace those old dominoes!!! Wonderful piece! patsy

Kaz said...

Aww now this is something so super feminine, Josephine would of had something like this in her reticule, just delightful. Thanku so much 💜

Kaz said...

Sorry hon a quick question, where do we or I should say where did u purchase the beautiful paper? Thanku

Kaz said...

Can I ask where u purchased this amazing paper