I created this altered tin for the Naughty Valentine Swap hosted by Alpha Stamps. This is the first of three tins. The unaltered tin measures approximately 2” wide by 1” deep. The finished dimensions are 4” wide by 3 ¼ high.
I started by drilling two holes in opposite sides of the tin towards the back of the tin. After drilling the first hole I inserted a wooden skewer through the hole and used it to figure out where drill the hole on the opposite side. The holes are to accommodate the flowers.
I added paper to the inside of the tin and re-opened the holes. I decided to cover the back and sides with paper. Since the edges of the tin are round, it is impossible to completely cover them so I first painted them gold.
The next step was tricky. Since I was inserting the flowers through the holes, I needed to attach the paper to the outside first. But I couldn’t cover the outside with paper before adding the lid. I couldn’t add the lid until I added the flowers and the inside image. It was a "what come first" moment ‘the chicken or the egg”. I solved the problem by gluing the outside paper to just the area where the hole were. Then I re-opened the holes, inserted the flowers through the holes, and glued the flowers in place.
I needed to create a “false bottom” as the stems of flowers create bulk. Next, I added layers double stick tape to the back of the tin until the tape was flush with the stems. Now when I insert the image into the tin it will stick to, and rest on, the tape.
I inserted the image into the tin and added the lid. The lid is painted gold and edged with gold metallic stickers.
Once the lid was in place, I finished glueing down the paper on the outside of the tin.The base of the piece is made from a porcelain drawer knob to which I added gold metallic stickers. Even though the stickers are backed with adhesive, I added just a little Glossy Accents to make sure they would stick to the porcelain. I used Glossy Accents to glue on all of the elements of this piece.
The final touches were to glue the knob to the tin, add a decorative metal piece at the top and paper birds to the edge.
You can find the jeweler’s tin and the collage sheet I used at Alpha Stamps. Below are the links.