-->

Welcome

I love answering your questions. If you ask them in the comment section, I have no way to answer you (if you haven't heard from me, that is why). If you use the "EMAIL ME" in the left column of this page, I will be able to respond to you. You can also use it if you want to be added to my newsletter. Laura

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Christmas Wishes Shadow Box Book with Tutorial

In this piece, Santa’s just been down the chimney delivering toys to all the little girls and boys.  As soon as I saw the Tim Holtz Christmas Wishes Worn Book Cover I knew exactly what I was going to do.
I thought this book would make a great shadowbox book with a vintage fireplace scene surrounded by toys from Santa.
On the inside cover, I framed paper by braiding the mini pine and berry garland with the tiny red tree garland.  The “Night Before Christmas” poem on parchment is just something I cooked up for the project.  Please feel free to download the image below and use it in your artwork.
Making the Shadowbox
The shadow box is made out of pieces of chipboard.  Two of the pieces measure 6 ½” by ¾” and two pieces measure 4 ¾” x ¾”.  These measurements create a box that just fits on the inside back cover of the book.  With the depth of the pieces being ¾”, it gives you room on the other side of the cover (where the poem is) for bulkier embellishment and still allows for closing the book.  I painted the edges of the chipboard then covered it in paper from the St. Nicholas paper pad.
Next, I glued the pieces together and then backed the box with more paper from the paper pad.
The final step was to glue the box into the book.
The Chimney
The chimney is made from chipboard.  Two of the chipboard pieces measure 2” x 1 ¼” and two pieces measure ¾” x 1 ¼”.  I inked the edges of the chipboard then covered it with paper.
To create the look of snow on the chimney, I first used white paint.  The paint was almost dried out which made it easier to apply it thickly.
Once the paint was dry I used Glossy Accents to add an icy look.
The final step was to attach Santa to the chimney and to glue the chimney to the top of the shadow box.  I used color pencils to make his suit a darker red.
The Inside Details
At inside top of the box, I used a combination of borders that were in the paper pack and ribbon.  I added toys, stocking and the clock images that came from various collage sheets.  Hanging from the fireplace are mini stocking ornaments.  I also used various buttons and holly picks.

The logs are made from sticks and topped with orange and red Dazzlers (from Glitter Art Institute) to look like glowing embers.
 
The fireplace mantle is a chipboard die cut that I covered with paper.  I also cut an extra strip of chipboard to create a top for the fireplace.  This gave me room to put items on the top.  I used 3 layers of foam core tape to attach the fireplace to the back of the shadow box and to make it pop off the back.


14 comments:

smokeysmom said...

Absolutely adorable, Laura! Your creativity never ceases to amaze me:)

Maureen said...

Amazing Laura! Love all the intricate details... what a great project!!!

Karen Mallory said...

I love this shadow box! It is tooooo cute! You are one creative lady!
hugs Karen

diane said...

It's absolutely lovely!
The work and love that goes into making this ... wow!
Thanks for sharing!
diane @ aug's blog

Cocofolies said...

I ADORE this Laura !!!!! So gorgeous Christmas box with lovely fireplace inside, and the Christmas father is just the ice on the cake...:-) HUGS, Coco xxx

Nancy Wethington said...

Very clever and absolutely adorable!

Theresa said...

OMGOSH! I WANT TO MAKE THIS!!! IT IS AMAZING!!!!

Unknown said...

Laura, thank you for sharing such a beautiful rendition of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas! You are one talented crafter:)

Hester said...

This would be great on a mantle piece. Very creative!

Elizabeth said...

Amazing! I could look at this all day, and still be surprised by the level of detail. Thanks for the inspiration!

Dawn said...

Love it Laura, it's so sweet! x

Machele O'Dufaigh said...

This is absolutely adorable!! If this were mine it would become one of those treasures put out every year for the Holidays. Magical.

The Star Gal said...

Magical...just magical.

2amscrapper said...

fabulous idea!