-->

Welcome

I love answering your questions. If you ask them in the comment section, I have no way to answer you (if you haven't heard from me, that is why). If you use the "EMAIL ME" in the left column of this page, I will be able to respond to you. You can also use it if you want to be added to my newsletter. Laura

Saturday, October 18, 2014

HOCUS POCUS INSPIRED BOOK APOTHECARY - VIDEO TUTORIAL

“Boooooook come home or make thyself known” cries Winnie in the movie Hocus Pocus.  This movie is a must-see for me every Halloween season.  It’s the only one of my spooky movies that I can get my husband to watch with me.  He loves the “I put a spell on you” scene when the Sanderson sisters sing.  You can tell by the eye on the book that this apothecary draws inspiration from the Hocus Pocus spellbook. 
Unlike the book in Hocus Pocus, which is filled with spells; this one opens to reveal an apothecary.
The book is constructed from two Tim Holtz Mini Configuration Books hinged together.
The texture and patina on the covers is achieved with tissue paper, stamped paper clay and Modern Masters Metal Effects Iron Paint and Rust Activator.  I've been working with these products for years, and love them so much, I rusted an entire wall in my house.

WHERE TO FIND MODERN MASTERS PRODUCTS
You can find Modern Masters products on Amazon.com, online paint stores, and some neighborhood paint shops.  Their products are easiest to find in the US & Canada.  For those in the UK, you can find them on Amazon.co.uk.  For other countries, the best thing is to Google the product name to see if anyone in your country carries it.
Notice how the middle of the book looks like pages - it’s really just an image, which you’ll find for download further down in this post.
By using two of the configuration books, you’ll have lots of room to display all kinds of cool bits and bobs.

VIDEO TUTORIAL
In the video tutorial below, I’ll step you through making the covers and assembling the book.  If Halloween or this particular project is not your thing, you might still want to watch the video as the techniques to create the cover can easily translate into other projects and themes.


EYE & BOOK PAGES IMAGES
To download the eye and book page images that I used in the tutorial, click on the image to expand it, right-click and select Save As.







18 comments:

Debi said...

I am giddy with excitement! I cannot SO do this! I have several cigar boxes I have treasured, not knowing what to make with them! Oh you are a TREASURE! to share this fabulousness! A Million thank You'S!!!! You are amazing!
xoxoxoxo

Rett said...

Time and time again, you come up with the most awesome projects! The creepy arms holding the eyeballs....haha...unbelievable! Love it!

MISS PEACH ~(^.^)~ said...

Laura if there were a like button on this post, I would still be clicking away at it! Thank you for the endless inspiring designs you share with us. Your mind is a treasure trove filled with magic!!!!
XOXO Karla

Theresa said...

OMGOSH!!! I saw this book and liked it...but now I am seeing the cover and WOW!!!! It is amazing!!! I LOVE this!!!!

Theresa said...

OMGOSH!!! I saw this book and liked it...but now I am seeing the cover and WOW!!!! It is amazing!!! I LOVE this!!!!

Teri Calia said...

Totally brilliant!!!! I think I'm going to have to make one for myself... thanks for the awesome inspiration and tutorial :)

Birgit said...

I haven't much time to visit blogs and leave comments these days, but now I really have to leave a comment, Laura. I love, love, love this "book" -- whenever I think you can't possibly outdo yourself, you just manage to do that... A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

Thanks for sharing your creativity with all of us!

Happy crafting and happy haunting,
Birgit

mberry117 said...

You item always never cease to amaze me. I wish I had a pinkie full of your talent. Love your stuff!! Something else for me to make :)

Silvia(Barnie) said...

I'm missing words, that's breathtaking.

JazzyNM said...

Wow, thank you for sharing this beautiful creation! I am making a life book for my goddaughter and didn't know what to do for the cover. Love this! Can't wait to try this technique on an old book first. I wouldn't want to ruin the real one. You inspire me!

Cocofolies said...

Oh Laura... Speechless again!!! Thanks so much for this new feast for the eyes!!!!!! AMAZING new Halloween project!!! Thanks also for your video tutorial, I will not look at it now as I don't have the products you recommend to us and not much time... But I will try to find them on Amazon, and look at your video next. Hugs, Coco xx (I did nothing yet with my potion bottles collage sheet, sorry but time is really missing to do all as I have still young children! .

She Reads Late Into the Night said...

Absolutely Amazing! Thank you for such a great tutorial.

Createology said...

Your creavity is beyond breath of life! I am blown away with each of your Halloween posts and projects. YOU are Creative Genius!!!

Viki Banaszak said...

You make the most creativly creep goodies! I LOVE this so much!

Maria Medeiros said...

Omg how amazing!! Love this!

Carole said...

I love this! I purchased a box to make an apothecary this year, and I can't wait to get started.

Carole said...

Mine is s regular box, picked up at Goodwill for a couple of bucks.

Joan UK said...

Hi,great tutorial.Fantastic techniques. Are all the items inside glued in place? Just wondered how they stayed in place if the book is laid down.