-->

Welcome

I love answering your questions. If you ask them in the comment section, I have no way to answer you (if you haven't heard from me, that is why). If you use the "EMAIL ME" in the left column of this page, I will be able to respond to you. You can also use it if you want to be added to my newsletter. Laura

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

MINI APOTHECARY (Video Tutorial) – New Collage Sheets & Digital Image Sets

Halloween must be just around the corner because I’ve made another apothecary.  This one is a mini version packed with books, bottles, steampunk-style goodies, and more.  If I haven’t tempted you before with my apothecaries, maybe this time I will!

The construction of the cabinet is made easy by using a split front chipboard box kit.  It’s simple to assemble and decorate, so you can spend all your time making cool things for the inside.
Split Front Box - Large
Guarding the front of the apothecary are two battling dragons made from chipboard.  In the video tutorial, I’ll show you how to transform them into the textured pieces that you see in the picture above.

This project has a few mechanical steampunkish pieces, like the Mad Scientist Laboratory.  There is a bookstand, scale, candle holder, and a couple of crystal balls.
With a library filled with magical books, you’ll need a special bookstand with a mechanical gizmo that lets you decipher hidden text and tricky spells.
I’ll show you various bookmaking techniques in the video using my new collage sheet images and other materials.
I’ve written a series of spells, enchantments, and potions to incorporate into small handmade books.  Well, except for the “Witches Brew” by Shakespeare.  Some are dark and some are light, something for everyone.
I think one of my favorites is the “Protection from Evil” spell. 
Spin a cloak of spider webs;
turn the wheel, and roll the thread.
Weave in delicate fingers of light
to chase away the demons at night.
Sing a song and fear no more,
witch, demon, ghost, or boar.
This cloak will be your shield,
your armor from all harm.
The dark forces that surround you
are vanquished and disarmed.

You can also find all these spells in a large 7” x 5” version for making full-sized spell books (See pictures and links below).  If you try any of these spells and they work, let me know!

Indispensable to any apothecary is a scale to weigh potion ingredients, another one of the items I cover in the video. 
If divination is your thing, this apothecary sports two crystal balls.
I wonder what’s in that bottle that's tucked into a book.





A book’s got to be pretty dangerous to need locking up.  You might recognize it as the cover is a mini version similar to my Book Apothecary from last year.
Of course, you can’t have an apothecary without bottles.  In the video, I’ll the various types of spray paints I used to color and texture the bottles.  Check out the bowl held by two dragons.  It’s made from half of a ping-pong ball. 

NEW COLLAGE SHEETS & DIGITAL IMAGE SETS
Want to start your own mini magical library?  Then my new Magical Books & Magical Book Pages collage sheets and digital image sets are a great start.  If you're into larger books, there is a digital image set filled with 7”x 5” magical book pages.  You'll find the details below.


MAGIC BOOK COVERS COLLAGE SHEETS
These two sheets are filled with all kinds of magic book covers and spines.  Mini book covers are a great way to create your own mini magic library.
Potions & Charms - Enchantments - Divination - Magic - The Black Hat Society - Cauldron Favorites - 6 Book Spines
Secret Rituals - Dragons - Haunted Dreams & Other Nightmares - Charms - Hexes & Curses - Hocus Pocus - Book of Astrology - Two Book Spines

This collage sheet contains 13 pages of spells, potions & enchantments, plus more.  These pages are a mini version of the Magic Book Pages Large Version Digital Image set and are sized to fit the books in the Magic Book Covers Collage Sheet.  
Included are:
Banish a Ghost - Curse Removal - Love Potion - Moonlight Enchantment - Protection from Evil - Raise the Dead - Sleeping Curse - Transformation - Witches Brew - Element Symbols - Magic Chart - Two Pages of Incantations - Blank Paper - Zodiac Image
This set includes 13 pages sized 7” x 5”, perfect for creating a book of magic.  The pages contain spells, incantations, enchantments, and potions.  
Included are:
Banish a Ghost - Curse Removal - Love Potion - Moonlight Enchantment - Protection from Evil - Raise the Dead - Sleeping Curse - Transformation - Witches Brew - Element Symbols - Magic Chart - Two Pages of Incantations
All of the images in the set can be re-sized for your project as they are high-resolution (300dpi) PNG formatted images.
Want it all? This set is filled with magical-themed book covers and pages containing spells, incantations, enchantments, and potions.  Included are the images from the Magical Books #1 & #2 collage sheets, the Magical Book Pages collage sheet, and a few decorative bits.  There are a total of 36 images that you can use to create your own magical library.  Included are:
12 - Book Covers
6 - Book Spines
14 - Pages
4 – Decorative Bits
All of the images in the set can be re-sized for your project as they are high-resolution (300dpi) PNG formatted images.
This sheet contains 40 unique mini apothecary bottle labels. They are a miniature version of my Pretty Potions and Poisons Apothecary labels.


VIDEO TUTORIAL

DRAGON EYE
This is the eye graphic I used for the book stand.  You may already have this, as I have used it in other projects.  This version is sized to fit the book stand in this project.  Feel free to download the image and use it in your art.  Just click on an image to download, and a menu will pop up.  Select the "Save as" menu option and select where you want it saved on your computer. 

9 comments:

Kerstin F. said...

It's always a delight to see your wonderful ideas and creations, brilliant Laura!!!!

johala said...

Hello
LOL, you are ...Incredible!!!!!
Your imagination is amazing, but I love it!
I love the scale, so pretty!
Hugs and kisses

Marfi-topia said...

what gorgeous magic!

Tristan Robin said...

Once again, you step up to the artistic mound - and knock one out of the park! This is gobsmackingly luscious! Just as I think you can't surprise me any longer, you go and do something brilliant like this! So beautiful - and the colors are so rich and luxe and mysterious. I just love it! Can't wait to have some free time to practice making your tiny books! I need to be able to make holiday versions to stack under mini Christmas trees! You're such an inspiration! (Notice I've worn out my exclamation key!)

smokeysmom said...

I've said it many times before, but I'll say it again, YOU are amazing! Your projects are always fascinating and wonderful. Thanks also for the video!

Tarnished Rose said...

Awesome! So creative.

Marilyn

robin dudley-howes said...

Laura you are so generous with your information and so talented! As soon as I saw your apothecary I bought the mini book digital downloads (anxious to get them)! Thanks again!

Jackie PN said...

Absolutely amazing Laura!!You are so clever!!
Jackie ")

Northern Impressions said...

Please stop making wonderful Halloween things that I love - I am still trying to get my carnival done and Grimsby Village is still sitting there waiting... and there is only a month left to get it done (started - however you want to look at it!) Absolutely fabulous design yet again