-->

Welcome

I love answering your questions. If you ask them in the comment section, I have no way to answer you (if you haven't heard from me, that is why). If you use the "EMAIL ME" in the left column of this page, I will be able to respond to you. You can also use it if you want to be added to my newsletter. Laura

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fantasy Film Butterfly

A few months ago I took a class at the Glitter Art Institute in Cottonwood Arizona.  In the class I learned how to make a butterfly using wire and Fantasy Film.  

Fantasy Film is a translucent iridescent film that comes in several colors.  The technique involves creating a frame with wire and ironing layers of the film onto the frame.
The holes and irregular edges are made by burning the film with a candle.  The wispy white stuff is Fantasy Fiber which is shredded film.
The body is made of buttons and the antenna is made from fun wire.  I added beading to the wings and base of the body.
You can purchase Fantasy Film, glitter and other products on-line from the Glitter Art Institute.  The site also has on-line tutorials showcasing their glitter techniques.
 I have lots of ideas of how to use this technique so stay tuned.

19 comments:

Wendy Aspinall said...

laura that is stunning..so beautiful . thanks for sharing the technique with us... Hugs wendy

lmp said...

That is incredible. :)))

Netty said...

Wow thats the best example I've seen using this medium. Great dramatic piece and so beautiful.

Elaine A said...

Laura -

I love how it sparkles. So very beautiful and so iridescent! Gorgeous job!

Elaine Allen

Unknown said...

can't wait to see what you do with it..looks like fun! Beautiful butterfly!

bobbie said...

Breathtaking!!!

Daniele said...

O.M.G.....stunning
hugs

Terri Kahrs said...

Be still my heart!!! Your butterfly is stunning!!! Hugs, Terri

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wow, such a fantastic butterfly.

Ann said...

so gorgeous!!
a stunning piece!
thanks for sharing this beauty!

ann said...

Exquisite piece of art

Anonymous said...

Ditto ALL of the above.I can imagine these on a doll..looking forward to see how els you could use them.
Thanks for your lovely Blog.

Gerri Herbst said...

simply breath taking!

Sarah said...

I have never seen fantasy film look so good. Amazing!

Micki said...

Wow, such a beautiful butterfly. Thanks for sharing with us.

Joanne said...

I have never seen fantasy film used in such an imaginative way and now can't wait for your ATCs.
Hugs Joanne xx

Angie said...

Laura, the wings are so gorgeous. I love the gossamer appearance, just like a real winged creature!

Wishing you a wonderful week,
Angie

Createology said...

Laura your butterfly is just gorgeous. The sheerness and irridescence and awesome uneven spaces and edges are truly amazing. I love your button body with the addition of beads. This is truly spectacular. Happy fantasy filming...

Annette said...

How pretty, I didn't even know there was such an animals as Fantasy Film. Thanks for posting and pointing us that way. xo