-->

Welcome

I love answering your questions. If you ask them in the comment section, I have no way to answer you (if you haven't heard from me, that is why). If you use the "EMAIL ME" in the left column of this page, I will be able to respond to you. You can also use it if you want to be added to my newsletter. Laura

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentine Exploding Carousel Box

Every year I make my husband something for Valentine’s Day.  This year it is an exploding carousel box; exploding as in when you lift the top the side panels of the box fall down.  The bottom box opens to reveal chocolate hearts and the box top contains an altered bottle with a love note inside (I won’t be showing you that!).  The overall dimensions of the piece are 10 ½” tall by 4 ½” wide and deep.
The basic carousel box comes in an easy to assemble kit.  The kit contains two boxes and a top.

I started by inking the edges of all three pieces and then covering all of the surfaces with Scribe Notes Scrapbook Paper.
Instead of putting the smaller box into the larger one (as the picture shows above), I decided to use the smaller box as a base.  I glued all of the sides of the smaller box together except for one.  By pulling the chain you can open the bottom box to reveal the candy inside.  The chains are attached with Tiny Non-Thread Screw Eyes and E 6000 glue.  The small box is glued to the bottom of the large box.  I did end up gluing a heart to the side that opens so make it easier to find.  I used a Candlestick Holder as a base below the smaller box.
To the top box I added chains and hearts between each panel which are held in place the same way as the chains on the smaller bottom box.
On the sides of the large box I attached a combination of a piece of Filigree, a Cherub Button, Black Blooms tipped with Goldenrod Stickles, Red Roses and Rose Buds.

Before gluing the top together, I used a hole punch to punch a hole in center to accommodate the Hexagon Lantern.  Then I glued the top together with the lantern in the hole and secured the lantern underneath the top with E 6000 glue.  The red hearts are stickpins.  I threaded the beads onto the stickpins and then poked them through the top at the seams (after the top was assembled).  I snipped off the excess stickpin.  I used a little E-6000 glue to keep the beads and stickpin in place.

One thing to note is to make sure if you poke something through the top it is not going to interfere with putting the lid on the large box and anything else in the box (small box, bottle, etc.).  You’ll note in the picture that the stickpin is about a ½ an inch back from the edge.

Inside the large box I used images from three different collage sheet (listed in the supply list below) and some romantic words in French.  I think everything looks better written in French.
Inside of the box is an altered bottle.  I used the Large Slope Shoulder Bottle you’ve seen me use in several tutorials.
I first applied some black rub-ons then Inca Gold Gilders Paste, then red rub-ons.
Next, using Glossy Accents, I glued on gold and black mica flakes, gold beads and cheesecloth dyed with Red Pepper Alcohol Ink.
Alpha Stamps Products Used In This Project:
Items Used on the Lid of the Box:
Items Used on the Large Top Box:
Items Use on the Small Box:
Items Used on the Bottle:

18 comments:

art by wendy said...

that is AMAZING! I want to make one really bad right now....I'm going to have to get some supplies together! Thanks for the tutorial on how you made it!

Sue Young said...

OMG
Stunning!!!!

PeggyR said...

WOW this is gorgeous.

Createology said...

Such a loving and unique Valentine gift for your husband. A labor of love to be certain. Blissful Creating...

Diane at Craftin Your HeART Out! said...

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!

I am literally speechless and totally without words that could even begin to describe how incredible this piece is.

Gorgeous

Thank you so much for sharing how you made this!!!

Take care,
Diane

Martina said...

Wow, this knocked my socks off. How incredibly beautiful, Laura! Your imagination is endless!

johala said...

Oh Laura, you've allways so surprising and charming ideas! Wonderful
Hugs and kisses

Unknown said...

Truly an original and awesome gift!! Love the altered bottle!! I bet your hubby really loved the love note inside...lol!!

Happy Crafting
Tracie

Unknown said...

OMG you have blown me away once gain! This is stunningly beautiful. I'm ordering the boxes right now! :)

lilyandthelotus.blogspot.com said...

I have been awed all morning by this...so beautiful.so lovely.
hugs
susan s

This N That said...

What a lovely way to package a gift..

Elizabeth Johnson said...

Wow, I'm impressed with your box. Its beautiful and such a thoughtful gift.
~Elizabeth

Venus Blues Hideaway said...

I am sooooo impressed. Beautiful work ad a lucky husband!!!

Christina Paul said...

Wow- so clever! and quite a lovely feat of engineering!

Art By Wanda said...

Oh, Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing!!!

Lori said...

I agree with everyone, Laura - this amazing! Your husband is one lucky guy to get something so beautiful. I love your attention to details. It is truly a labor of love:)

Lori said...

I wanted to add I received your beautiful ATC card. I knew it was beautiful when I won but it is even more so in person. The colors are very rich and it is so detailed. Thank you so much.

Retro Cafe' Art Gallery said...

Hi Laura! I don't get a lot of time to hop around blog land, but wanted to tell you that your creations just blow me away! You did amazing things with the Carousel Box!!! xo Kristin