-->

Welcome

I love answering your questions. If you ask them in the comment section, I have no way to answer you (if you haven't heard from me, that is why). If you use the "EMAIL ME" in the left column of this page, I will be able to respond to you. You can also use it if you want to be added to my newsletter. Laura

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Ancient Egyptian Themed Round Robin Book

The Creative Team has been pretty quiet lately; outside of the canvas books I’ve been posting.  Karol Taylor who is the boss of us all (by mutual agreement) has decreed that we start a round robin altered book project. 
In the early days, when the group started working on art projects together, (this was way before my blog) we participated in several round robin books.  Eventually, we migrated to other types of art.
Karol has brought us back to the beginning and once again we are creating altered books.  We’ve each chosen the theme for our book and will exchange books once a month; passing it on to the next person in the list.  I thought I would document the process; sharing what I receive with you and also using the things I do to the girl’s books as tutorials.  I’m hoping you will have fun following our project.
My choice of theme is ancient Egypt.  I started with a regular book (actually and old Readers Digest Best Loved Book).  I added the texture to the cover using the same tissue paper technique I used for the Dreaming of Romance Book.  I will have a video tutorial posted for you this weekend that walks step by step through the process.
On the front of the book I cut a hole in the cover and through several pages of the book to accommodate embedding an ATC that is made from paper clay.  The clay has been stamped with various rubber stamps and painted with inks and metallic paints.  To see a detailed post on the techniques used click here “Egyptian Stamped Paper Clay ATC”.
Inside the book I’ve decorated two pages with stains, papyrus, stamped clay, transparencies and various metal bits.  I’ve also included and ancient Egyptian poem.
I’ll probably add more to the inside of the book when it returns to me but I wanted to leave plenty of room for the girls to work.  Karol’s book is already here so I’ll be sharing that with you next month.
I hope you’ll come back this weekend and checkout the Tissue Paper Texture Video Tutorial.

13 comments:

SusanLotus said...

Gorgeous book!
The egyptian theme is a great idea.

Have a nice middle week!

Hugs
Susan

Astrid Maclean said...

What a great idea! Love the way your cover looks (well and the rest too of course), the colours are stunning! I will definitely be back for the video!!

Createology said...

Your Egyptian theme is very refreshing. This altered book is already amazing so it will be interesting to see what else can be created. Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

Christina Paul said...

What an beautiful book! I'm so enamored by ancient Egyptian art and culture! Can't wait to see more!

lilyandthelotus.blogspot.com said...

wow! Egyptian is a hard take on and you grace everything you take on.. love Egyptian..and you so made this awesome!
hugs
susan s

Unknown said...

This is so lovely! I am looking forward to seeing the books progress.
xxxx
Becky

This N That said...

Beautiful book..Love the theme

chrissie said...

Your book looks wonderful and I am sure it will be terrific to see what others add to it.

Love Chrissie xx

Beansieleigh said...

(gasp!).. Oh my gosh, this is absolutely GORGEOUS! One of my favorite movies in the world is Cleopatra, starring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton; and I am absolutely hypnotized by all the beautiful art, architecture, fashions, etc. throughout the film! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the cover of your book! If there's more of it to see, I can't wait! ~tina

PeggyR said...

I love the theme, the book looks gorgeous.

Debbie said...

I love your Ancient Egypt book. I love anything about Ancient Egypt. I have collected many things related to this subject and have some used as home decor. One day, I will get around to making something with them. Who knows? Perhaps your book will inspire me?


Unknown said...

I tried a similar tissue paper on an ATC for February ATC's but didn't use it, just wanted to try. You make it so great and effortless looking, I will try again. Love your work.

Unknown said...

I have a lot of books on Egypt. I have never seen anything like that, it's really amazing. I would love to own a book like that. Your doing a fantastic job.