-->

Welcome

I love answering your questions. If you ask them in the comment section, I have no way to answer you (if you haven't heard from me, that is why). If you use the "EMAIL ME" in the left column of this page, I will be able to respond to you. You can also use it if you want to be added to my newsletter. Laura

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Welcome To My Studio

Were Blogger's Create Event
It's time again for the "Where Bloggers Create" annual event hosted by Karen Valentine at My Desert Cottage.  The event officially starts on July 14th.  Karen generously puts together this blog party so that bloggers can share their creative spaces.  I hope you enjoy touring my studio and seeing some of the art I've created over the past year.  And when you are done, you can hop over to Karen's site where there is a list of other bloggers participating in the event.  Last year I checked out most of the spaces and it was very inspirational.

Here on my blog you'll find a variety of art by me and other artists whose work I enjoy.  There are also free tutorials and images as well as regular giveaways of my art.

I've always wanted a space that was tailored to my creating my art.  I’ve worked in the garage, a walk-in closet, guest bedroom, and on the dining room table.  A few years ago we remodeled our house and that gave me the opportunity to create the space I’ve always wanted.  Now I’m happy to sit in my studio and play all day!
Work Tables
I decided to go with bistro height work tables as I like to stand when I work.  There are four tables with leaves (they are actually dining tables) which makes it easy to reconfigure them.  I cover them with cutting mats for protection.  I chose black because it would not compete with the color of the art and I thought it would be the easiest to repaint once I totally trash the surface.
Tigger of course supervises all of my work.  I keep a basket on my work tables sprinkled with a little catnip to him to lay in the basket instead of on my projects.
There is lots of storage space under the tables where I have hanging racks and storage cabinets on wheels.
For seating around the tables I use stools.  This works well when teaching classes.
Altered Bottle
Photo Studio
My husband gave me this portable Photo Studio for Christmas.  It comes with the lamps and box of diffuser screens.
Art Deco Brooch
Antique Display Cabinet
Several years ago when we lived in Pennsylvania, I bought this Victorian cabinet.  I now use it to display some of my treasures and art.
Collage Piece on Chipboard Shoe Stand
ATC – The Dance
Marie Antoinette Diorama
Beaded Trim Storage and Display
Altoid's Tin Book
Storage and Display Cabinet
I sold many of my collections on eBay to purchase this piece.  It has lots of space for storage and display.
Altered Hinged Painter's Canvases
I use lots of flowers in my art so I use apothecary jars to storage and display.
Miniature Mermaid Shrine
I use a carousel to display my supply of lace and larger art pieces.
Altered Jeweler's Tins
This rack stores chipboard and foam core board.  Karol Taylor’s (Creative Team Member) husband Paul built these for us.
This is a bin for screws, nails etc. that has been re-purposed to store ephemera.
Voyages Extraordinaires
I purchased the cabinets below from StorageandDisplay.com.  They come finished or unfinished.  Each cabinet had 10 drawers and can be stacked.  I have two stacked towers of these plus two on wheels that fit under my work tables.  I purchased the unfinished version so I could paint them black to match my other furniture.
Witches Mask
Witches Apothecary
I hope you’ll join me in September as I'm hosting a special event where I'll be showing you how to build a witches apothecary through a series of video tutorials.  Stay tuned for more details.
My husband built this cabinet for me so where I store bins of patterned paper and ephemera.  I have another storage project for him this year if I can talk him into it.
Art Deco Fan
I use a basket to store my large sheets of paper.
Accordion Folded Book
I used ScrapNCube cubes storage units for my cardstock and tools.  I purchased the paint carousels at Michaels Craft Store.
Matchbox Chests
I keep fabric in this basket.
These bins were purchased on-line from Target.  I bought these last Christmas as they had a free shipping offer.
Mermaid Sandcastle - Diorama
Equipment
A girls gotta have her technology.
I use a TV stand for my scanner and Wishblade Die Cutting Machine.
My printer is on a ScrapNCube storage bin.   I added wheels to the bottom and the drawers hold my printer paper, transparencies, vellum and Rub-Onz paper.
I used a picture frame, chipboard, batting, fabric and ribbon to create this notice board.  I have fabric and trim to make a matching skirt for the table below.  It's one of those projects I just haven't gotten to.
Here is a matching chalk board.  The background structure is the same as the note board except in the center I mounted a piece of chipboard that I sprayed with chalkboard paint. You can find the paint in most hardware stores. 
Some of my petit point work.
Display Cabinet for Art
Ethereal - Dress Form
Victorian Christmas Toy Shop Diorama
This is one of the pieces I designed for Alpha Stamps.
A Place for Visitors
Carnival
After a tour of my studio I don’t want you to get the wrong impression and think that I am neat and tidy.  Usually it looks like a bomb went off in the room.  Every surface is stacked high with projects and supplies.  Nothing is where it belongs and it’s hard to walk around the room with all the stuff on the floor.  I don’t seem to be able to create without making a huge mess.  Every once in a while I break down and spend a day cleaning it up.
 Sandy - "Excuse me mom, could you stop working on your art and play with me?  I brought enough toys for both of us!"

76 comments:

Luthien Thye said...

ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!! i'm changing colors!! turning, turning, turning, turned ... GREEN. your studio is SO beautiful! super heart!!

Hester said...

Laura, Thank you so much for the tour and all the beautiful art, tips and tutorials you share! Just love visiting your blog.

Gina Peake said...

I never get tired of seeing pics of your studio. It's amazing. And I am always facinated when I hear about people who work standing up.

Rachel said...

What a great space you have, I love all the different ways of organising everything you have come up with. It looks fabulous.

Mary Ann Tate said...

Beautiful...I love it:) Your work is wonderful too...I'm always in awe of what you create.

johala said...

Your studio is really comfortable, very well organized and wonderfull at the same time! I would like to have something like this!
Kisses

chrissie said...

A wonderful place to create and your creations show how wonderful it is. You are a real inspiration.

Love Chrissie xx

Dorthe said...

Dear Laura, this is the most gorgeous place you have, Everything so beautifully arranged, and in reach for you, to work, and create your stunning art pieces. -FANTASTIC-
Thankyou for showing, I will be back to look again :-)
Hugs,Dorthe

Unknown said...

C'est la caverne d'Ali baba !!! que de merveilles dans cette magnifique pièce. Bravo pour toutes ces créations plus belles les unes que les autres, je suis vraiment admirative.

Joanne said...

Oh Laura, even your work space is a work of art. Wonderful just like everything you create. Thanks for the look around.
Hugs Joanne xx

fairyrocks said...

I think I found you through this event. Your talent is an inspiration to many. I just sit in awe of your gorgeous creations and your beautifully aranged studio.
Keep smiling and creating.
I too will be participating in this. Last year was the first time.
Love all the studio peeps.

lilyandthelotus.blogspot.com said...

was I just dreaming of a fairy tale???yes of the place where art dreams come from..sshh I must go back to sleep and see it again.
hugs,
susan s.

Diane at Craftin Your HeART Out! said...

Laura, Your studio definitely reflects you and the art that you create. Just beautiful! Thank you for sharing your space with all of us.

Diane

Maureen said...

Wow, I don't know what I am more impressed with; the studio or the creations that come out of it! Heck, they are both WONDERFUL!

Roxanne L.M.Pafundi said...

Honestly I Love how human you are! Beautiful art work and I love the studio...even though this may be a 'neat' day when you took pics. So glad you make a mess...its the only creative way I think!
Also love that your furkids are included. Whenever I see on ebay-or etsy-that item is from a 'pet-free' home...well, then I feel sad for them! And I'd rather buy from a petFull home! I've done rescue all my life inbetween work and now creating 'stuff'. Love your blog and art! Thanks for sharing! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow...do I ever love those altered hinged canvases...they are divine! and utterly inspirational. thanks for sharing. I'm making my rounds from Karen's link list.....visit with me too....I've joined up for the very first time.


ciao bella
creative carmelina

Anonymous said...

your workspace is amazing too, btw...can't believe I neglected to mention that...I love all of your vintage furniture pieces...so elegant!


ciao again.


Creative Carmelina

Unknown said...

Oh my! What a beautiful space! I love, love, love the armoire and all of the vintage hats that sit on top. Beautiful! I found you at the WBC party, and would love for you to visit sometime - http://stringtownhome.blogspot.com.

Your newest follower,
Heather

Anonymous said...

Oh my what a wonderful studio!! I love that cabinet filled with all those treasures and I had to pin your gorgeous Altoids box and match box chest. How very creative!! Will be back to investigate in more detail!! Thank you for the tour!

Hope you will come by and see my new space!

bee blessed
mary

craftyles said...

Beautiful art and beautiful studio. I love the drawer towers. Your place is really organized and looks like a super creative place to be!

Betty said...

What a beautiful place you have to create. I just love your blog.

Kathy said...

I adore your artwork and I am your newest follower. Thank you for sharing!

ALTERED ARTIFACTS said...

What an amazing space and such amazing art work in it too!
Inka :)

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Oh my gosh! Sandy is adorable. And your creative space is fabulous. I could sit right there in that visitor's spot and gaze around the room all day long ... heck, a whole week and then I probably still wouldn't have seen everything. The matchbox drawers are fantastic. And those dioramas are amazing. Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend. Tammy

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Oops! I forgot about your cute little assistant, Tigger. He's a cutie too. :)

Keli McKinley Hansen said...

I love your dioramas!

Stunning space!

Geralyn Gray said...

Very elegant space, blog and creations.......love the rich colors!!!!

Marijke van Ooijen said...

Hay Laura,

Your studio is amazing!
It's like an old Victorian dream..
You are a lucky girl to work in this space..

Thanks fro sharing..

Love from Marijke

Sandi said...

Your studio is beautiful!!! And I can't wait for the Witch's Apothecary. I'll be back often.
VictorianGypsy

Constance said...

Loved all the wonderful photos of your studio and your amazing art project photos sprinkled in as well.

I prefer to stand while I craft too, and your table idea is perfect! Perhaps now, I can put my ironing board away.

Helena White said...

One word, FANTASTIC! I echo the others comments, amazing space, Laura ♥ ஆ

JoAnne said...

What a beautiful studio Laura! And that antique cabinet is to die for!
Lovely, lovely post....
(I enjoyed seeing your pets too!)

Michele said...

Let me just say, I would love to come over and play!!
FANTASTIC space for creating your wonderful art.
I do follow your blog, not one to comment a lot though but I am an admirer of your work.
I am glad you are able to have the studio you have always wanted.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful space.
Michele

Karen Valentine said...

Laura I enjoyed touring your studio as much this year as I did last year!! Your studio is amazing and your artwork... well, are you sure you didn't stand in line twice when God was passing out talent genes???

Thank you so much for sharing it all with us. I know many of us are so inspired by you. :)

Sandy said...

Upscale elegance! The the sophistication of your studio and art style. So much inspiration to be found here, thank you for sharing.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Great studio, Laura! You've obviously put in a lot of thought as to what would work for you. I love that large hutch and the smaller more ornate piece, too. Great idea to use bar height tables in here. Your creations are just beautiful! Your classes must be very interesting and fun. I will have to check out some of those tutorial links. Thanks for sharing your tour!

The Creative Bohemian said...

I'm so glad I found your blog! Your studio is as lovely as your work. You have quite a gift!

Angie said...

Laura, I keep shaking my head to get my eyes back in place (they moved over so much loveliness, I think they're stuck!). Okay, that was wierd, but your art certainly isn't. I saw your video on YouTube and it was great seeing you for the first time. I can hardly wait for the "Apothecary" tutorials! I love it.

Thanks for all the wonderful photos.

A China Cupcake said...

I am inspired by your creativity and unique finds Thank you for letting me peek at your studio !!! I love it ! Pat Beglin

Cherry Chick said...

Oh My Gosh, Laura! I'm sure you don't need me to tell you but your studio is amazing. The whole thing is so fabulous. I'm just awed by all of the wonderful furniture pieces that you have in your space. When I saw your antique display cabinet I was so envious but then I saw your storage and display cabinet! You have truly put together a wonderful environment to create in.
I'm not even into altered stuff but I am so impressed with the creations that you've shared with us. That altered bottle is so stunning. The details in the Voyages Extraordinaire are to die for. My mouth was just hanging open when I saw your witches apothecary with the spider legs. OMG...so creative!
Even your animals, Tigger & Sandy, are charming. I'm only on the "A's" in this blog event but seriously I don't think I'll find another studio as amazing as yours as I make may way through the list.
Anywho...I'll stop gushing now and move along. But I warn you that I will return to catch up on your past posts.
Thanks so much for sharing with us all.

´*•.¸(´*•.¸♥¸.•*´)¸.•*´
♥•.*.*.*.Cherry*.*.*.•♥
♥•.*.*.*.Chick.*.*.*.•♥
¸.•*´(¸.•*´♥´*•.¸)´*•.¸

Unknown said...

I love your space!!! Your art is amazing also. This is my first visit here and I am so glad to have found you.

Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful magical work place!

Kristi said...

I am just sitting here in stunned silence and taking every yummy picture in! Your studio is as stunning as your gorgeous art! My favorite pieces are the Marie Antoinette diorama and Witch's Apothecary. What a feast for the eyes!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Hugs,
Kristi

Alexandra said...

Fantastic workspace! Thank you for sharing.
Alexandra

Blessed Serendipity said...

I love your studio and even more your amazing work. You make such wonderful things. Thanks for sharing. I've got my studio linked up too. Hope you stop by for a visit.

blessings,
Danielle

Teresa Young said...

Your studio is as inspirational as your work...simply beautiful. Thank you for sharing! Teresa

Vicki Dutcher said...

First off your work is stunning! What a fabulous space you have... All that storage. Heaven! Tfs

Something Special said...

I will let you know when I stop drooling over your studio and your crafts! Amazing! I am a new follower here. Come say hi!

Marlynne said...

Enjoyed all your creations1 Thanks for the interesting tour!

Lori said...

Oh Wow! I. Am. In. Love.! So much inspiration. I love it all! Love your work--gorgeous! I am already a follower, but haven't been here in awhile. I'll be back when I have more time to really absorb the beauty of your room.

Heather Sellers said...

Love your studio space and the "too adorable" cozy kitty basket. What some great ways to organize!

Shell said...

LOVE! My Fave spot so far! I could live here! My doggies would fit right in! Golden and a Lab...

Thanks for Sharing, I'll be Back!

Hugs,
Shell

fairyrocks said...

Your space it like your artwork. Rich in detail and very classy. So nice to see where the magic happens. Your artistic endeavors astound me, keep smiling and creating, thanks for sharing not just today, but always.

The Painted Garden said...

Oh my goodness- your studio is beautiful - organized and a fabulous space to create. You have a place for everything and certainly gave me some great ideas.
Thank you for sharing
Have a lovely day.
Blessings,
Erin

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed very much touring your studio. What a beautiful creative space you have full of such treasuries.
I love your antique furniture, your collages and altered art.

Have a nice creative summer. Blessings and Bonjour de France !
Hélène

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

Beautiful space and you have really made a great use out of every corner and pieces in there, love the table in the middle and that large cabinet, its a amazing piece. It was a treat to see your work space and all your beautiful creations.

Cheryl said...

Your studio is stunning.... but your work is out of this world!!!

Createology said...

Your space is beautiful and thoughtfully arranged. Your creative muse must be in constant overdrive. The art you produce is always stunning and over the top with design amazements. Thank you for sharing. Total Creative Bliss...

Scrap Krazed said...

You have a great space to create, I love all your supplies and your kitty. And I think you are an amazing artist!!

Laura Quaglia (Fun With This and That) said...

Your work is wonderful. So is your space. I like the way you put everything. laura

Carmen said...

I love every art piece you've made. I love how you create,adding wit, beauty, whimsy, and charm to all of your extraordinary pieces. As for your beautiful studio, it is to die for. A great studio is what it's all about!

Shoshi said...

What a truly amazing and wonderful creative space you have, Laura! I am full of admiration (and let's face it, envy! One day I shall be as organised...) Gorgeous pictures of all the features of your room, interspersed with your mind-blowing works of art which express your talent and versatility so well.

On the subject of which: I have just nominated you for the versatile blogger award. This is in recognition of how much I enjoy visiting your blog, and for all the inspiration you have given me.

http://shoshiplatypus.blogspot.com

Shoshi

Debbie Burkey said...

Wow! That black antiqued cabinet is to die for!! I love it! Your room is just wonderful. And all your work is gorgeous!

Thanks for sharing!

Debbie

CreativSpirit said...

Your room is wonderful Laura, it just seems to fit with the lovely art that you create.... but glad to know that it does get messy like mine does. I would have to spend quite some time tidying up before mine was ready for pictures.
Thanks for sharing a little piece of your world.

This N That said...

WOW..Just amazing

Sherry said...

I so enjoyed touring your studio. I was wonderful to see your art work also. I work mostly with fabric and thread but I love to see what others do. Your room and your work are amazing.

Creative Grammie said...

You have a beautiful studio! And I love your work. Thanks so much for sharing both!

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

Wow, it's all amazing. I'll be back to look at your tutorils. My granddaughter is so into french right now, I'd love to make her some wonderful things.

thanks
hugs
cindy@stitches

Lovey said...

Absolutely beautiful and your art is wonderful!!!

Laura Spano said...

I found this post/ blog on Pinterest. What a wonderful space and beautiful artwork!

Unknown said...

I just want to live in the white (visitors chair). No need to fuss over anything, I wont be needing anything as I will already be in heaven :)

Laura Spano said...

I love your art work and studio. Both whimsical and elegant at the same time. And both inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Hello,
What a lovely space to create in. I now want a cabinet like yours!!Also love your blog. Thanks so much for sharing. Karen.x

Susanna said...

WAUUU! Your studio is amazing and classy! Such a treasure room indeed!!! I love it and envy it!!!

Magicomundodecolores said...

No tengo palabras para expresar mi asombro y admiración ante tanta belleza junta. Su sala de trabajo es ideal y too lo que sale de sus manos es bello. Yo llevo pocos años haciendo scrap y me gusta mucho género vintage y romantico y Usted es desde ahora mi inspiración. Gracias por enseñar sus trabajjos y sala.

The Star Gal said...

Okay...so I have this one old dining room cabinet that I throw all my stuff in. No wonder I never get anything done. You have totally captured the organization thing. AND,you have so many paints, papers, things...I go to Michaels and buy one or two paints and some cardboard and think I have something going on. Gheesh!

Marfi-topia said...

Hi laura..
I know Ive commented here on this post before but I revisited your lovely studio just now and I'm still in awe!
all your creations are stunning!
thank you for being so generous and sharing your instructions on these adorable intricate works of art.
hope you have a wonderful day!!
m