-->

Welcome

I love answering your questions. If you ask them in the comment section, I have no way to answer you (if you haven't heard from me, that is why). If you use the "EMAIL ME" in the left column of this page, I will be able to respond to you. You can also use it if you want to be added to my newsletter. Laura

Monday, June 13, 2011

High Flyers – Altered Altoids Tin

A couple of months ago the folks at Alpha Stamps (Leslie the owner and Bella the Design Team Coordinator) asked me if I would like to be a Guest Designer.  I was thrilled so of course I said yes.  For those not familiar with Alpha Stamps they are an online company (based in the San Francisco Bay area) that designs and sells collage sheets and rubber stamps.  They also carry a fabulous selection of collage supplies.  I’ve been a customer for years.  Back in May they sent me a box of circus themed Alpha Stamp products.  There were collage sheets, circus themed papers, rubber stamps, blank Altoids tins, chipboard pendants and various bits and bobs.  They asked me if I would design something with one of the Altoids tins and design something with the chipboard pendants.  The design of the rest of the pieces was completely up to me.  Here is a sneak peek of one of the Altoid tin pieces I created. 
FRONT
The wheels are made from wooden spools that have a hole on each end.  I first painted the wheels then attached buttons by inserting the shank into the holes.  The acrobat on the top is suspended in a plastic curtain ring that I painted with alcohol ink. 

Close-up of the Inside

Alpha Stamps has a large collection of collage sheets with theater background images.  I own them all.  I used the images from one of the sheets for the inside of the tin.  Removing the lid from the tin leaves two holes in the top which is how I suspended the acrobats.
BACK


VIDEO TUTORIAL – There is now a YouTube video tutorial for this project.  The video also covers 5 other altered tin projects.  You’ll find the segment about this project at minute 29:16 in the video below.

Below are the supplies used for this project.  Clicking on the item will pop you over to AlphaStamps.

15 comments:

Astrid Maclean said...

Wow Laura, this is totally amazing!! You know you should apply for the Graphics 45 design team next year, I bet you would be in with a good chance. This is a stunning creation!!

Mary Ann Tate said...

Very ingenious...love it:)

Ann said...

Laura..this is just awesome!! love all their products!!

Elaine A said...

Hi Laura -

Absolutely fabulous project! I love how this turned out. I've been a customer of Alpha Stamps for years. I love her products.

Elaine Allen

Anonymous said...

That is so amazing! This tiny little circus of fun doesn't even look like it ever was a tin, especially in the front. No wonder they wanted you as a designer, you rock!

Donna said...

Your creations are always AMAZING!!! Wonderful job!

Daniele said...

inspirational piece

The Decophile said...

This is nothing short of jaw-dropping. I have a healthy obsession with vintage circuses, and this is total eye and brain candy. What a delightful, very creative piece!

Pretty Ragged Threads said...

Hi Laura I just found your blog. This piece is fabulous. I love vintage circus anything, but this is just amazing.

Hugs Jackie

Seahorse Ranch Girl said...

Holy Moly! Your tin is BEYOND fabulous. What an honor to be selected to guest host. Alpha Stamps has terrific stuff.

Ivy said...

Oh wow, Laura, that is so cool!!

Rhea said...

Lovely job! Off to check out the group. Thanks for sharing.

Lynn Stevens said...

I know I already told you but worth repeating, Fabulous work!
hugs Lynn

Georgie Horn said...

You are inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

smokeysmom said...

Your "circus" themed altered altoid tin is amazing Laura. Wow, the amount of work that must have gone into this creation! It's really fabulous.