-->

Welcome

I love answering your questions. If you ask them in the comment section, I have no way to answer you (if you haven't heard from me, that is why). If you use the "EMAIL ME" in the left column of this page, I will be able to respond to you. You can also use it if you want to be added to my newsletter. Laura

Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Bewitching Home Blog Party

Every witch’s home needs a table centerpiece for the season.  I’ve pulled out all the stops on this one.  I started with my apothecary from the Pretty Potions & Poisons Apothecary Event and surrounded it with other decor like large bottles altered bottles, decorate candles and other Halloween and fall décor.  I’ll walk you through how I created some of the pieces in case you want to add something to your own “witchy” décor!
If you missed the Pretty Potions & Apothecary Event Tutorials and want to learn how to build your own apothecary click here.
LARGE BOTTLES
In addition to the small bottles contained in the apothecary cabinet, I also made some large bottles to create more of a tablescape.  I’ve created two NEW large label collage sheets which contain larger versions of some of my favorites from the other label collage sheets, plus new labels and decorative images.  You can find the collage sheets at Alpha Stamps.
Potion X Bottle
"Made of Unknown Ingredients"
A really easy way to add texture to a bottle is to crumple up white tissue paper and glue it to a bottle.  To achieve the color, I inked the tissue paper (after it was attached) with the Tarnished Brass Distress Stain to give it a metallic look then inked it with Vintage Photo Distressed Stain; wiping off some of the stain after I applied it.  I applied more of the Vintage Photo Stain in some areas than in others. 
The topper is a crystal drawer pull.  The hole for the hardware made a convenient place to insert feathers.  I used tree buttons as feet.  I added color to the raised areas or the trees using Copper Gilders Paste
Alpha Stamps Products Used on the Potion X Bottle:
Copper Gilders Paste – Used on the tree feet
Witches Brew
"Aged to Perfection"
I purchased the orange bottle at Michaels Craft Store.  I used a smaller bottle turned upside down as a stopper.
Alpha Stamps Products Used on the Witches Brew Bottle:
Small Amber Bottle w/Corks – Used as the stopper

Gravediggers Musty Bones
I purchased the green bottle at Michaels Craft Store.  I dripped Caramel Alcohol ink on the bottle to age it.  I used a skeleton mold and paper clay to make the head and bones.  This is the same mold and technique I used and demonstrated in the first Apothecary Event tutorial.  The hands glued to the sides of the bottle are plastic.  To create different heights in my tablescape I placed some bottles on candle stands.
Alpha Stamps Products Used on This Bottle:
Large Bendable Skeleton Hand – Glued to the sides
Large Skeleton Mold – Skull on the front and in the bottles
Caramel Alcohol Ink – Used to distress the bottle
Holographic Round Eyes – Glued in the skull eye socket

1000 Year Old Gargoyle Drool
&
Certified Black Swamp Frog Slime
I purchased the bottles from Michaels Craft store.  I dripped black wax on the Gargoyle Drool bottle and white wax on the Frog Slime bottle.  I colored the white wax with Pesto Alcohol Ink.
Alpha Stamps Products Used on the Gargoyle Drool & Frog Slime Bottles:

Spider Web – Frosted Blue Bottle

This bottle is a little bit of a tease for a future tutorial.  I used an easy technique to create a frosted etched look.  I’ll be posting a tutorial on how to do this with some winter themed art.
Alpha Stamps Products Used on This Bottle:
Giant Snowflakes – Used as the lid – bent the prongs of the snowflake down around the neck of the bottle.

DECORATING CANDLES
Why not jazz up your candles with stickers, rub-ons and paper.
A fun and easy wait to decorate a plain candle is to use stickers.  You can find the Dazzles Boo Stickers I used on the candle above at Alpha Stamps.
Another option for decorating candles is to use rub-ons.  The trick is to use a good quality rub-on (all rub-ons are not created equal), and to use a candle with a smooth even surface.  The rub-ons I used on the candle above are made by Creative Imaginations and are from their Fright Night line.  Unfortunately they don’t make these anymore but you may find some Ebay or Scrapbooking Stores. 

CANDLES & BOTTLES
Another great item to add to your décor is to mix candles with bottles.
 I start by inserting the candle in the bottle and burning it down to the desired height.  The cheaper the candle the better as it will drip more.  I don’t worry about having a colored candle.  Most of the time, I paint the candle wax with alcohol inks because you get a varied translucent look that you don’t get with a colored candle.  After the candle is the desired height, I use a second candle to create even more drips on top of the first candle.  To embellish the candle even further you can glue something to the top of the candle.
Feathered Crows – Alpha Stamps
Resin Skull Bead – Alpha Stamps
Alcohol Ink - Pesto to color the wax– Alpha Stamps
Owl –  Michaels Craft Store

For the candle below I started with a jar and added Chillingsworth Manor Elements Stickers to the jar and the candle.  Then I died a piece of cheesecloth dyed with Pesto Alcohol Ink and tied it around the bottle.

Wine Bottle Candelabra
Friends of mine found some bottles of Vampire wine and thought instantly of me. Hmm wonder why?  My sister generously drank them as I’m not into red wine.  I was just going to stick a candle in them and drip wax but I discovered a candelabra made to fit in the top of a wine bottle.  Perfect!
You can purchase the candelabra at Save On Crafts.  They are $19 each or $17 each if you buy three.  Here is the link:  http://www.save-on-crafts.com/winebottle.html

As the shadows start to lengthen and night approaches, it’s time to light the candles.  
Thanks for stopping by and a special thanks to the Witch of Howling Creek for putting this party together.  To checkout other blog party participants click here.

If you love Halloween Blog Parties (and I do), you’ll want to stay tuned for the 5th Annual Halloween Party hosted by A Fanciful Twist on October 27th.  I’ll be participating and if you’d like to join in the fun, click here for more details

26 comments:

RPLancaster said...

I could look forever at your wonderful decor and never get bored.
Really great ideas Laura!
Wish I could see it all for real.

DVArtist said...

You are amazing!!! This post is so wonderful and full of Halloween life. Thank you for all the great tutorials and tricks n tips of decorating.
Nicole/Beadwright

Anonymous said...

Wow bedazzling collection!

Diane at Craftin Your HeART Out! said...

Hi Laura,

Again I'm speechless. I love all the new bottles and candles you have made.

Thank you so much for sharing your talent with all of us.

Take care,
Diane

Aisha @The Bewitching Bibliophile said...

this si awesome thanks for sharing this with us. I got a few good ideas for next year since it's too late to do this now. thanks so much!!Happy Halloween

Luthien Thye said...

oh my Laura!!! that ... is SUPER amazing!! i think it could all go on a film set! woah ... i dunno how you do it ... your ideas never seem to dry up! SUPERB!

Joanne said...

Oh Laura, this is the most amazing collection of art I have ever seen. I enjoyed making my apothecary and want to add to it over time as it will be on show always - not just Halloween. Thanks for such fun.
Joanne xx

Karenliz Henderson said...

WOW This is absolutely amazing! Every time I look at it I see more and more. Your creativity is brilliant!

Carol W. said...

WOW I bet this looks even more amazing in person! Love each and every piece of your decor. Look forward to the tutorial for the etching (beautiful bottle). Thank you for sharing

Unknown said...

Girl you are just out of this world tallented! Everything is absolutely gorgious. I really love the blue frosted glass bottle.

Great post! As always.
hugs
Caroline

Anonymous said...

I bow down to you. You are the Queen of Creativity!

Hazel (Didos) said...

WOW Yet again you have stunned me with your Creativity, What a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing, Love Hazelxox

genagirl said...

If I take nothing else away from this I love the simple use of those candle holders to hold the various bottles! It just adds such a finished look to them. Of course I love it all but that idea is sparking some others inside my brain!!!

Beverly Sager said...

Laura, I just love visiting your blog and seeing the latest creations your imagination has dreamed up! This tablescape is wonderful, especially with the candles lit. Please keep creating and sharing all your fantastic work :)

Ms Misantropia said...

Amazing stuff! I want it all! Especially love the rub-on candles. And the little emo in me wants that wine :)

Please pop by my party at: http://msmisantropia.blogspot.se/2012/10/party-cupcake-recipes-giveaway.html

Debbie Christiana said...

Beautiful! Loved it all. I had a bottle or two of Vampire Wine and love it - now I know what to do with the empty bottles. Great post!

Liv Rancourt said...

Very cool stuff. It gives me something to aspire to...
;)

Kleaf19 said...

Love the bottles! Especially the ones with candlebra and the bats, and the vampire one too! Great job! And what creativity! Visiting from the Bewitching Home Blog Party!

Namaste,
Kourtny

Chrislyn said...

Oh my! I feel like a kid in the candy store! There are so many great ideas here. Your table is fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing!

Chrislyn

Anonymous said...

Amazing! When i get the time I'll come back and learn through your tutorials. Stop by for a visit.

http://mividalocacalistyle.blogspot.com/2012/10/lady-os-bewitching-home-tour.html

Victoria said...

Wow, this was fabulous! I'm bookmarking it so I can refer back to it, thank you so much for all the wonderful information!

Blessings,

Victoria from Brushstrokes

Wendy S. said...

I am the most uncrafty person so I really am envious of your amazing creations...I love all the candle's and the bottles are fantastic! It was great fun to look at everything.

The Year of the Cats

Tenae said...

This all looks so fabulous! I love the wine bottle candles - just genius. Thanks for participating!

Machele O'Dufaigh said...

Everything is beyond fabulous, I am completely entranced! I'm having Halloween shivers all over. Such fabulous work you are amazing!♥

Anonymous said...

Oh Laura, this is amazing! Beautiful table scape featuring your treasures. Thank you so much for sharing your tips on crafting the candles and bottles as well. Happy Bewitching Home to you. Mina

Susan said...

AWESOME stuff!! truly, but was kind of like reading one giant ad for AS.
Vampire wine makes a Pino grigio...I have one on my table here:

http://piecesoffatesusan.blogspot.com/2012/10/bewitching-home-blog-hop-hosted-by.html

Can't waited for your frosted bottle tut!
Susan