-->

Welcome

Welcome! Artfully Musing is a blog dedicated to sharing art and the techniques and products used. I'll be showcasing collage, altered and mixed media art as well as miniature. I hope you'll check back often and are inspired. Thanks for visiting! Laura

Saturday, April 3, 2021

Faberge Style Eggs - New Collage Sheet

Not the typical eggs you might see at Easter, these ATC sized eggs are inspired by the Art Deco Style paper pictured further below in this post and Faberge Eggs which open to showcase various elements inside.  Several years ago, I made a set of Faberge inspired eggs, and for this set, I decided to use ladies dressed in 1920s style fashions.  


ART DECO THEMED PAPERS


Another major element that I incorporated into these eggs are various metallic stickers, which can be used as is, cut into pieces or painted with Alcohol inks to change their color while preserving the metallic look of the sticker.


For the base of the eggs, I used a set of precut ATC-sized chipboard egg shapes.

To add lots of bling and interest, I used various brass pieces and gold Dresden which I cover further down below where I walk you through how I constructed the eggs.


NEW COLLAGE SHEET - DECO DAMES #2

This is a companion sheet to the original Deco Dames collage sheet (also pictured below) and contains 10 ladies in 1920s fashion and 7 unique fan designs with 3 sizes of each fan design.


THE DETAILS

To get the design centered on the egg, I placed the chipboard shape onto the patterned paper and traced the egg's shape; I then cut out the paper and glued it to the chipboard egg.

To split the egg into two equal vertical parts, I again used the chipboard egg to trace the shape onto a piece of paper.  Next, I cut out the shape, folded it in half, and then clipped it to the egg.  I then used the crease in the paper as my guide in splitting the egg.


I trimmed the edges of the split egg with stickers.   In one case, I cut a strip of sticker in half and applied each half to the split egg.  In the other case, I first painted the sticker strip with Alcohol ink to get the desired metallic color.  Using Alcohol ink preserves the metallic look.


For two of the eggs, I used two of the chipboard eggs, but for one, I used three chipboard eggs, giving me a double reveal.

Once you have covered the eggs with decorative paper and other flat elements, you need to stack the eggs one on top of the other and then punch the holes used to insert brads that will hold the eggs together and allow you to open the eggs.

For the eggs, which I split vertically down the middle, I punched two holes in the bottom (one on each piece of the egg),

Below you can see the brass pieces I used on the egg above.  I painted these pieces with metallic copper spray paint to match the copper color in the paper.


Below you can see the Dresden I used for the egg above, which I painted with Butterscotch Alcohol ink and is the same ink I used for the metallic stickers on the egg's edge.

Notice for the egg above, I have used three chipboard eggs, splitting the first two vertically and cutting the last one a little less than in half horizontally.  The ladies' images mount to the last egg and look free-floating when you open the first two eggs.

For the egg above, I used fans from the collage sheet to decorate the front and various stickers to dress up the eggs' edges.  Also, I added brass scrollwork and handles painted with teal paint.

NOTE:  Always be mindful of where you attach brass pieces to the front of the egg, so they don’t get in the way of opening the egg.  For this piece, I attached one of the brass pieces to the top left side of the egg and the one to the bottom right side of the egg.



For the egg above, I split the top egg horizontally.  Notice the brad is in the corner left of the top piece.  I added stickers to the split edges of the front egg and to the middle of the back egg.  On the front, I added brass leaves, a Dresden piece to the top of the front piece and brass flowers.  I used Patina paints to paint the brass and Dresden.

NOTE:  Always be mindful of where you attach brass pieces to the front of the egg so they don’t get in the way of opening the egg.  For this piece, I attached the Dresden to just the top of the egg.